‘Tis the season to be jolly…. That’s a tall order for some this year. As Coronavirus cases continue to rise, you may be wondering how to enjoy the holidays safely during Covid 19.
Thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and New Years will be different this year. But that doesn’t mean they can’t be great! The trick is to change your mindset and approach the holiday from a different perspective.
Instead of focusing on what you can’t do, why not consider what you can do? If you implement a few safety precautions, you can still have a fantastic, and safe, holiday season.
Tips to enjoy the holidays safely
- Spend the holidays with your immediate family. Enjoy them.
- Skip the hugs, kisses, and even the handshakes. Frankly, handshakes were always germ spreaders. I hope not to see this tradition return.
- If the weather allows, open the windows or utilize outdoor space.
- If you must mix groups, spread tables and chairs apart to provide separation. If you have the space, put tables in separate rooms to keep groups apart while masks are off for dinner.
- Try to avoid travelling during the holidays or having others travel to your home
- Ensure people wear masks at all times except while eating.
- Keep the alcohol to a minimum to facilitate good decision making
- Stock your bathrooms and kitchen with paper towels to prevent guests from sharing hand towels.
- If you’re having guests, this is the year to consider paper and plastic plates, utensils and serving dishes to prevent the spread of germs.
- Serve your guests rather than allowing people to share serving utensils.
- Encourage frequent hand washing, mandate it before eating.
- Wear a mask while preparing and serving food.
- Place hand sanitizer in multiple locations for easy access. Every table should have a bottle.
- Pack up leftovers in disposable containers for your guests.
- Keep the event short. The longer people are together, the greater the risk of exposure.
- Consider asking people to self quarantine for 14 days before the holiday.
What can I do after the holiday to keep my family and friends safe?
Consider staying home and self quarantining if you can, for 14 days after any gathering. Even if you and all of your guests are careful, there is always a chance of transmission.
What holiday traditions can I have this year?
Instead of focusing on what you can’t do, focus on what you can do.
You can still celebrate the holidays. You can enjoy those close to you. With the use of technology, you can Zoom or Facetime with other family members to include them in your celebration. Cook your favorite recipes and think about ways to modify traditions.
I love the this season and am not going to let a virus ruin that for me. There a plenty of ways to enjoy the holidays safely during Covid 19.
I am still planning to cook a 20+ pound turkey this year even though there will only be three of us for dinner. if you are doing the same, here’s a list of wonderful recipes for Thanksgiving leftovers.
I plan to do a cookie swap remotely, dropping cookies at the homes of each of my siblings. Since I am staying home with my immediate family, I don’t have to use paper plates and plastic utensils. I’m going to pull out my favorite serving dishes and plates and decorate my home. Most importantly, I am going to spend time with my family and stay safe.